What is an organic textile? "For a green world"

The organic textile sector started with the treatment of fibers that are organically grown during the agricultural process, according to the applicable standards. GOTS certification include raised organically and certificated organic fiber usage, in addition to production standards. Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS) is a collaboration of trade unions operating in the field of organic textile processing.

Tan tekstil is aware of the importance of a green environment and human health. To show how much it cares about it, Tan tekstil has GOTS certification and "OEKO -Tex Standart 100", which are formal documents proving the non-use of dyes or chemical materials in its products.

What is an organic fabric?
Organic products don’t have threats for human life because they do not contain any chemical fortifiers during the rearing process. However, normal textile products can still threaten human life during their production, use and destruction. These organic fabrics that do not include pesticides and fertilizers in their production process are harmless for human health. The production of these fabrics is ecofriendly and far from chemical waste.

What is organic cotton?
Organic cotton or organically produced cotton is a type of cotton grown without insecticides or toxic or permanent fertilizers, fed only by clean natural waters (not wastewater) and grown without radiation or genetic engineering applications (GMO: Genetically Modified Organism, or derivatives). Organic cotton and all other applications of organic farming protect the environmental balance first and foremost. Farm workers are protected against toxic effects and diseases to which they are exposed. The use of water, energy and chemicals is minimized by controls. Wastewater is transferred to surface water after treatment within defined limits of pH 6-9 and 40 C conditions. In this way, the vitality of water sources can be protected. These organic farming methods allow the transfer to customers without any corruption by appropriate manufacturing method, according to organic standards during the production processes of yarns, fabrics and garments.

Why organic cotton?
Cotton is a plant which has a high percentage of agricultural pesticide use such as; herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, pesticides, etc. In 2003, 25,000 tons of pesticides were used for cotton production. This represents more than 10% of the world's pesticide use in 2003. As far as insecticides are concerned, the situation is much worse and 25% of their use is related to cotton production. However, cotton production accounts for less than 3% of world agricultural production. Only 0.1% of pesticides reach insects, and the rest (99.9%) mixes with soil, air and water. Unfortunately, the production of cotton fibers that are natural and hygienic is not ecofriendly, on the contrary, it is a complete environmental damage. The use of natural animal fertilizer, green fertilizer and natural (organic) pesticides is allowed. Clothing made of organic cotton lasts longer due to the structure of its components. Conventional cotton get weak due to the chemicals it is exposed to. These chemicals harm the cotton and cause a new weakened cotton. Organic cotton is a softer and thicker type of cotton than conventional cotton and is easier to wash. According to information from the British Pest Control and Organic Trade Association in 2000-2001, in 12 countries, world organic cotton production is close to 6368 metric tons. This represents 0.03% of world production. Turkey and the United States are the leaders in organic cotton production, followed by India, Peru, Uganda, Tanzania, Egypt, Senegal, Israel, Greece, Benin and Brazil.

What does "certified organic" mean?
Certified organic means that the cotton has been raised according to the strict rules of independent and private organizations. Certification includes the control of agricultural fields and activity zones, detailed monitoring and periodic water testing to ensure that farmers meet the standards. The documentation certifying organic cotton production increases confidence in the products and provides a guarantee to customers. Before 2006, the documentation program and standards were the same in basic terms, but there were some differences between regions. Recently, Global Organic Textile Standards was developed by an international working group, and all certification organisms have started to use the same standards for the control of organic textile production. The purpose of these standards is to define all the environmental and social conditions necessary to ensure that products are organic, so that customers feel safe from harvest to labelling. Products that meet all the criteria required by the standard are called "Global Organic Textile Standard". In addition, the standards are divided into two levels of labelling;

1 - Organic or Organic Biodegradable
95% or more of the fiber must be labelled as organic or biodegradable. The remaining 5% is made up of non-organic fibers, which may include synthetic or improved fiber and fiber wools.
2 - x % Organic or x % Organic Biodegradable
75% or 95% or more of the fiber must be certified organic or biodegradable organic. Approximately 30% of the remaining fiber may be balanced with non-organic fiber. The limit for developed and synthetic fibers is 10 % in Turkey. (25% in the United States).

Important criteria

- In ordinary fabrics, out of about 95%, there is a need for 70% organic fibers.
- All data should accommodate the general toxicity and bio-resolution requirements.
- Should not include toxic heavy metals, formaldehyde and GMOs.
- The production unit should follow the rules seen above.
- Quality assurance system consisting of on-site testing and final inspections. Organic Standards
- The 100% Organic Cotton must contain 100% organically produced cotton.
- Organic Cotton: Must contain 95% organically produced cotton.
- Made with Organic Cotton: Must contain at least 70% organically produced cotton.
- % Organic Cotton: Must contain organic cotton as written.



TAN Tekstil San. Tic. A.Ş.

Organize Sanayi Bölgesi, 1. Kısım, Bayram Şit Caddesi 20330 Denizli / Turkey

Phone Number :

+90 258 269 19 31

Email Adress :